VJS Construction Services Offers a Superior Work Environment
Would you like to work for a company that is bettering communities and the lives of the people who use the building we build? When you join the VJS team, that’s what you’ll do. You’ll work with the most talented, hard-working individuals around that are passionate about building and making a difference in the community. We believe in giving back to the community and we get involved!
Whether you’re a Superintendent or an apprentice, Accounting, or Project Management, you’re part of something bigger – a team culture like no other and that’s why VJS was voted by its employees as one of the Top Workplaces and Best Places to Work in 2018 and 2019.
We are looking for an experienced Safety Manager to join our team. The Safety Manager is responsible for developing and implementing safety programs to prevent or correct unsafe acts and or conditions.
Manage and administer the company’s Safety program in accordance with regulatory requirements, company policies, & risk management consequences. Includes but is not limited to:
- Develop and maintain the company’s safety program and implement procedures to ensure all company operations are conducted in a safe manner.
- Visit job sites to conduct safety audits on personnel, equipment and materials at least once every two weeks using Procore audit form. Review audit results with the Superintendent.
- Evaluates regulations and governing documents to determine potential impact and required action from company operations.
- Preparation of and executive of site-specific safety plans.
- Monitor weekly audits from Superintendents and follow up as necessary.
- Manage programs and audits results to ensure compliance and prioritize needs.
- Implement accident prevention programs, monitors and records unsafe acts, and reports results quarterly to management
- Ensure safety programs are communicated to and followed by employees, subcontractors & suppliers.
- Work with Safety Coordinator on claims, and administrative documentation.
- Inspect fire and safety equipment, machinery and facilities to identify and correct potential hazards and ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Conduct safety training and orientation to educate employees about safety policies, laws and practices, including Crisis Management training.
- Investigate accidents to minimize recurrence and reviews accident reports.
- Develop and administer the light duty and back to work program.
- Oversee that proper paperwork is processed in accordance with rules and regulations including training records.
- Participate with the superintendent and foreman evaluations dealing with safety.
- Coordinate with company’s insurance carriers to facilitate communication, challenge or handle claims, and effect insurance company recommendations as appropriate.
- Respond to OSHA, state or local inspections.
- Attend VJS safety team/committee meetings.
- Be an active member of Milwaukee AGC / Wisconsin Council Safety and American Society of Engineers.
- Knowledge of OSHA and EPA standards with regard to construction
- CHST Certification preferred
- Ability to train, influence and motivate team members
- Some travel required (25 to 30 percent)
Supervises subcontractors and other MEP Coordinator Junior team members, if applicable.
- Occasional exposure to weather, dust and fumes
- Requires frequent stooping/bending/crouching, reaching, handling, finger dexterity, sitting, standing, walking, and lifting 20 or more pounds
- Constant finger dexterity ability to see details at close range and at a distance, hear, and talk, and possess depth perception
- Occasional climbing and carrying, proximity to moving mechanical parts, working in high exposed places
- Noise intensity level could be high
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. Hours are subject to change. Overtime on an as needed basis.
The majority of the travel for this position is by automobile, traveling from one jobsite to another. However, minimal travel may be required overnight for a conference and/or client that is out of the area (less than 5% of time).
Required Education, CERTIFICATIONS and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required (preferably in environmental health, safety or equivalent) and 10+ years of experience in the construction industry, preferably with a general contractor.
Safety certification of CSP, ASP, CSP, ODHT or CIH.
Active member of Milwaukee AGC / Wisconsin Council Safety and American Society of Engineers.
VJS Construction Services policy is to select, train and promote the best candidate for each job regardless of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin or any other protected class. Equal Opportunity Employment refers to employee recruiting, hiring, administering salary, training, transfers, promotions, counseling, terminations, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.