VJS Construction Services Offers a Superior Work Environment
Would you like to work for a company that is bettering communities and the lives of the people who use the building we build? When you join the VJS team, that’s what you’ll do. You’ll work with the most talented, hard-working individuals around that are passionate about building and making a difference in the community. We believe in giving back to the community and we get involved!
Whether you’re a Superintendent or an apprentice, Accounting, or Project Management, you’re part of something bigger – a team culture like no other and that’s why VJS was voted by its employees as one of the Top Workplaces and Best Places to Work in 2018 and 2019.
MEP and VDC Manager
VJS is looking for an experienced MEP and VDC Manager to join our team.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in developing sequences of installation for mechanical and electrical components
- Assist in establishing milestones for completion of various systems to allow sufficient time for pretesting and testing
- Assist in establishing testing schedule for each subcontractor’s individual components leading up to coordinated testing of systems involving several contractors
- Assist in establishing shop drawing and submittal schedules and see to their maintenance and follow-up. Help identify long lead items, and see to their inclusion in the Master project Schedule, including all updates
- Assist in establishing job close-out schedules and implement specific procedures for close-out including submittals of as-builts, O&M manuals and Owner’s training
- Take control and own the process of Commissioning. As applicable, write RFP’s or RFQ’s, evaluate proposals and make recommendations for award. Facilitate coordination between the owner, the owner’s maintenance staff, VJS team members and subcontractors directly or indirectly affected by commissioning
Shop drawings and submittals:
- Review for compliance with contract documents
- Review all shop drawings and submittals so that they meet the design intent both Mechanically and Architecturally. If there are discrepancies and clashes, bring this to the attention of the team immediately
- Review for proper scope coordination among all trades and ensure that submittals are distributed among trades
- Review for proper space coordination among trades such as duct and piping layouts, beam penetration requirements, headroom clearances, etc.
Estimating and Preconstruction:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of all pertinent code related issues that can be translated into assisting designers with the most cost-effective solution to the design intent
- Assist in development in the preparation of mechanical and electrical preliminary estimates
- Review subcontractor budgets, scope sheets, qualifications, exclusions, etc.
- Assist in development in the preparation of preliminary schedules
- Review subcontract proposals for scope, price and compliance with general contract
- Participate in weekly subcontractors’ meetings, as necessary
- Arrange special meetings when necessary to coordinate subcontractors’ shop drawings, address design problems with subcontractors and consultants, etc.
- Monitor on-site work to ensure compliance with contract requirements and schedule
- Inspect equipment, materials, and fabrications stored off-site as necessary
- Identify work of other trades which requires coordination with mechanical and electrical work such as drywall, elevators, finish hardware, etc.
- Assist Project Manager in reviewing change order request for scope and pricing
- Assist in developing and implementing programs for temporary mechanical and electrical systems and/or the temporary use of permanent systems
- Make recommendations on subcontractor performance, abilities and suitability for bidding certain jobs. Be able to provide feedback on key subcontractor personnel to request for certain jobs
- Review mechanical and electrical payment requests and billing breakdowns
- Develop and maintain working relationships with building, plumbing and electric inspectors
Objectives or Goals to Measure Performance:
- Contribute to and enforce VJS and Industry standard safety practices. Endeavor to promote a culture where safe working practices becomes standard practice, every day.
- Effective, successful installation and operation of HVAC, plumbing, fire and electrical systems, including required testing of equipment
- Mechanical and Electrical adherence to schedule and milestone dates
- Effective Coordination and cooperation of Electrical/Mechanical Subcontractors with the project team and owners
- Adherence to design drawings, codes and industry practice
- Completion of work segments per schedule
- Minimized costs by anticipating problems
- Maintain customer and client satisfaction
- Participate in staff development and training
- Participate in business development strategies to maintain current clients and obtain new clients. Be and advocate for VJS
- Improved personal professional growth and education
- Technical background in electrical/mechanical trades
- Demonstrate an understanding of Codes and regulations associated with all MEP trades
- Knowledge of OSHA Regulations and Standards
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to identify, address and solve jobsite problems
- Knowledge of craft labor manpower needs, sequencing and scheduling
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering or equivalent experience preferred. Minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position.
VJS Construction Services policy is to select, train and promote the best candidate for each job regardless of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin or any other protected class. Equal Opportunity Employment refers to employee recruiting, hiring, administering salary, training, transfers, promotions, counseling, terminations, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.