VJS Construction Services Offers a Superior Work Environment
Would you like to work for a company that is bettering communities and the lives of the people who use the building we build? When you join the VJS team, that’s what you’ll do. You’ll work with the most talented, hard-working individuals around that are passionate about building and making a difference in the community. We believe in giving back to the community and we get involved!
Whether you’re a Superintendent or an apprentice, Accounting, or Project Management, you’re part of something bigger – a team culture like no other and that’s why VJS was voted by its employees as one of the Top Workplaces and Best Places to Work in 2018 and 2019.
VJS is looking for experienced Carpenters to join our team.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ability to construct, erect, install and repair structures and fixtures of wood, plywood and wallboard, using carpenter’s hand tools and power tools, conforming to local building codes.
- Able to study blueprints, sketches or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- Capable of selecting specified type of lumber or other materials.
- Ability to prepare layouts using rule, framing square and calipers.
Ability to mark cutting and assembly lines on materials using pencil, chalk and marking gauge.
- Ability to shape materials to prescribed measurements using saws, chisels and planes.
- Ability to assemble cut and shaped materials and fasten them together with nails, dowel pins or glue.
- Ability to verify trueness of structure with plumb bob and carpenter’s level.
- Ability to erect framework for structures and lay subflooring.
- Capable of covering subfloors with building paper to keep out moisture and lay hardwood, parquet and wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- Ability to fit and install prefabricated window frames, doors, doorframes, weather stripping, interior/exterior trim and finish hardware, such as locks, letterdrops and kick plates.
- Ability to construct forms and chutes for pouring concrete.
- Ability to erect scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- May weld metal parts to steel structural members.
- Medium work: exerting force of 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently or greater than negligible force up to 10 pounds constantly to move objects.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Proven experience as a journeyman carpenter
- Hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
- Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction
- Proficient in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (powered saws, hammers, rulers etc.)
- Ability to read technical documents and drawings
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
- Good understanding of basic math
- Good physical condition and endurance
VJS Construction Services policy is to select, train and promote the best candidate for each job regardless of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin or any other protected class. Equal Opportunity Employment refers to employee recruiting, hiring, administering salary, training, transfers, promotions, counseling, terminations, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.